The Transplantation Research Lab is dedicated to the discovery of new and more effective methods for preventing and managing the rejection of transplanted organs.
Current projects include:
- Understanding how regulatory T cells (specialized immune cells) prevent autoimmune diabetes and transplant rejection
- Engineering dendritic cells (DCs) to inhibit donor-specific T cells and targeting DCs to lymphoid organs
- Investigational use of the immunosuppressive drug called Belatacept to control graft rejection
- Studying the effects of gaseous carbon monoxide to increase anti-inflammatory response
- Establishing successful protocols for withdrawal from immunosuppressive regimens